Staff Attorney Position
The Amara Legal Center is a nonprofit legal services organization dedicated to providing free legal services to individuals whose rights have been violated while involved in commercial sex. To learn more about the Amara Legal Center’s mission and work, please visit www.amaralegal.org.
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school
- Member in good standing of the Virginia Bar
- Prior management or supervisory experience or training desirable
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with teams
- Fluency in Spanish or another language frequently spoken by low-income DC residents desirable
- The ideal candidate will be licensed to practice law in Virginia and have the desire to waive into DC Bar if not already licensed in the District
- A candidate who is also licensed to practice law in Maryland is ideal, but not required
- Either has experience or an interest in practicing law in both civil and criminal cases in Virginia state courts and DC Superior Court based on licensure
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge, or interest regarding domestic sex trafficking, sex workers’ rights, and/or sexual assault within the legal system
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge, or interest working with low income individuals and/or survivors of trauma
- Experience with policy or legislative advocacy ideal, but not required
- A valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle to attend meetings and court hearings that are not accessible by public transportation
- Ability to pay close attention to details successfully manage time, and prioritize workload
- Independently provide legal advice, advocacy, and representation on civil and criminal cases in Virginia state courts and/or DC Superior Court including, but not limited to: criminal record expungement, civil protection orders, child custody, divorce, name changes, criminal defense, and/or victim-witness advocacy
- Maintain and create new relationships with VA and/or DC community partner organizations
- Providing advocacy on policy changes in VA and/or DC as necessary
- Providing trainings for local service providers on the identification of domestic survivors of sex trafficking and providing information sessions for clients about various areas of the law
- Assistance in providing training and supervision to pro bono attorneys and legal interns
- Oversee our internship program for law and undergraduate students
- Participate in stakeholder meetings as necessary, including those of human trafficking task forces, coalitions, and other community based organizations
Annual Salary and Benefits:
- Starting salary for the position is set at $49,000.
- Benefits package includes: 15 days of paid vacation leave, 5 days of paid sick leave, employer provided health and dental insurance, simple IRA retirement plan with up to a 3% employer match, flexible telework schedule, and an annual professional development budget.
Submit a persuasive cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is April 12, 2019. We will be reviewing resumes on a rolling basis and scheduling interviews accordingly.
Your privacy will be respected and preserved until the final phase of the hiring process. For
example, we will only check references during the process of interviewing finalists and will only
do so with your knowledge.
The Amara Legal Center is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind.
Amara is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to
providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All
employment decisions at Amara are based on business needs, job requirements and individual
qualifications, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, work-related injury, covered veteran
status, political ideology, genetic information, marital status, family responsibilities, parental
status, or any other statute protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we
operate. Amara will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these
characteristics. Amara encourages applicants of all ages, sexes, genders, colors, and religions.
Amara encourages applicants with personal familiarity or experience of the commercial sex
industry to apply.